Powered By Blogger

Site Meter

About Me

My photo
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand
Wine tour operator, wine writer and lapsed physiotherapist. "Nature abhors a vacuum. I personally hate dusting."

Followers

Sunday, March 28, 2010

What I had for dinner - Torlesse Waipara Gewurztraminer



Okay, I did make a chicken curry to go with the wine.

Despite being one of those tedious home chefs who likes to everything from scratch, I did use a pre-made tandoori paste - that we found in one of those archaeological digs which begins as a pantry cleanout. It all kind of came together as a Friday night dinner when I visited the local and very good Faro deli on the way home. Free-range chicken pieces, fresh pineapple and melon and a few goodies from the fridge turned into a jolly fine homemade curry.

While I was at Faro, I grabbed one of the few Gewürzt available - the Torlesse 2009 $NZ20. It proved a good match - crisp, just off-dry, with clean fruit flavours of lychee, plus ginger in syrup and rose water. The previous vintage of this wine picked up numerous awards.

Wine maker is Kym Rayner, a graduate of Roseworthy Wine College, South Australia, where he spent his early years honing his skills. Top level is the Omihi Road label. Next step down is the Torlesse range. Prices are pretty keen with the Torlesse at around $18, and the Omihi at around $25.

Notable Wines Torlesse Riesling and Chardonnay. Omihi (Medium) Riesling, Chardonnay, Gewürztraminer, Pinot Noir.
Also look out for their Cassis – blackcurrant liqueur at $25 a bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment