Powered By Blogger

Site Meter

About Me

My photo
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand
Wine tour operator, wine writer and lapsed physiotherapist. "Nature abhors a vacuum. I personally hate dusting."

Followers

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Grasshopper Rocks!



Central Otago is one of NZ's premium Pinot Noir regions, on a par with, if not superior to Martinborough and Waipara.
(I'll leave that to others to argue.)

Grasshopper Rock is a relatively new winery on the scene, but has picked up a gold and a silver medal, plus numerous accolades for its 2007 Pinot Noir.

Managing Director Phil Handford was formerly a rural banker and heads a partnership of ‘hunter-gatherers’ from Waikato and Southland, including whitebaiters, duck shooters, rabbit hunters, fishers, creative arts folk and financiers.
Winemaking is by Carol Bunn of VinPro and grapes are grown in Earnscleugh Road Alexandra. The annual partnership review is held in Wanaka, where five families meet and share whitebait, scallops, crayfish, blue cod, venison and rabbit – with a bottle or two of their award-winning Pinot Noir.

Verdict: Lovely soft and ripe Pinot with cherry and savoury flavours. A bargain at $NZ30.00

3 comments:

  1. Hi Phil, as a Tour Operator have you had a look at the Toast Martinborough Festival for your clients. A great event, and would certainly give ythem a chance to experience the best wine and food festival in NZ, if not the southern hemisphere. I'm tempted to comment on Martinborough vs Otago Pinot Noir too, but maybe best if I just say we should not get hung upon either/or, but simply recognise the fact that the styles are so different; Martinborough being more complex and concentrated (more like a clasiuc Burgundy) and Otago lovely lifted fruit in a new world style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wizzo,
    Yep - I am aware of the Toast Martinborough Festival. I operate solely in Kumeu, Auckland so won't be taking my clients down there, tho may have to do some research and take myself instead. I was in the Wairarapa about 18 months ago - and loved it: fab wines, great food and accommodation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I volunteered to help out at Escarpment Vineyard this year. Let me just say I'd never make it as a professional bouncer!

    ReplyDelete