Powered By Blogger

Site Meter

About Me

My photo
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand
Wine tour operator, wine writer and lapsed physiotherapist. "Nature abhors a vacuum. I personally hate dusting."

Followers

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

When people get your name wrong

Phil runs wine tours in auckland New Zealand


On Monday I hosted a Food & Wine Lovers Tour of Auckland City and Kumeu wine region.  One of the places we visited is a fab food outlet where the staff are very friendly.  I don't get that many bookings for the foodie tour, so it means I'm there infrequently.  The last twice I've been in, one of the ladies called me Paul.
I kind of let it slide ... basically because I'm a coward and partly because I thought she'd get it right next time.

But on Monday I said 'Hi (her actual name) !'
And she replied "Hi, Paul!'
Soooo... I kind of let it slide ... basically because I'm a coward and partly because I thought she'd get it right next time.  But it is difficult.  Now, that I've let it go on so long that she really thinks I'm called Paul - so I guess it's too late now, and I'm too embarrassed to say - 'Hey - it's Phil - not Paul!'  Because then she'll think I'm an idiot for not telling her sooner.  And anyhow- she called me by my right name for MONTHS
prior to my name morphing into Paul, so it's really her fault.

OPTIONS:  (A) wear a large name tag with PHIL on it next time. (B) Officially change my name to Paul Parker (C) arrange to have someone engage me in conversation in earshot of the Paul lady and make sure they say things lie\ke: 'So, PHIL, how's your day PHIL, are you busy PHIL?  etc...

Suggestions on a postcard please.

No comments:

Post a Comment