Powered By Blogger

Site Meter

About Me

My photo
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand
Wine tour operator, wine writer and lapsed physiotherapist. "Nature abhors a vacuum. I personally hate dusting."

Followers

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My 5 seconds of fame - TV3 News

I was on the telly last week. Nothing grand – just a 5 second soundbite.


I seem to be on a database for physiotherapy comment at TV3 because I was president of our local private practitioners association about ten years ago when I was still in practice, and did a few interviews then. So I did point out that I was commenting as a retired physio, but that didn’t seem to bother them.

The issue was - that since our taxpayer ‘no fault’ accident cover insurance (ACC) has cut physio fees by 30%, there has been a 50% drop in treatments by physios.

A no-brainer – and the reason I quit the profession in the first place. Poorer suburbs are not going to support physio practices where patients pay 60% of the fee as, a ‘co-payment.’ (ACC speak for ‘the vast majority of the cost’)

So I did my bit – and explained that some conditions will not get better without professional assessment, treatment and advice. It is a false economy when ACC and the tax payer is going to pay for time off work, and possibly remedial care when a few visits to a physio at the start would get the patient sorted and back at the workplace.

A two person team did the job - small but perfectly formed young reporter with white teeth in a natty suit, and a slightly bohemian cameraman.  About 30 mins all up. No gear plugged in, no lights.
And - funny thing - it's all noiseless (apart from the talking).
One ..two..three...and ..We're filming. 
But there's no noise - no whirring no nothing.  No blinking red lights. I felt like saying, Are you sure it's switched on?

I can see how one could be easily lulled into a wide ranging convo, especially when one forgets that there's anything happening.  Just a big matt black lifeless camera on a tripod pointed in your direction.
My password and pin mumber?  Sure!  Just between the two of us, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment