Powered By Blogger

Site Meter

About Me

My photo
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand
Wine tour operator, wine writer and lapsed physiotherapist. "Nature abhors a vacuum. I personally hate dusting."

Followers

Monday, July 19, 2010

Dog Poo Etiquette

I have just got home after Jasper’s late night doggie walkie – the usual 30 minutes of sniffing, peeing, pulling in the other direction, and of course – pooing. (That’s Jasper, not me).


I’m yer responsible dog owner and I even have biodegradable blue poo bags. I have even been known to come back next day to remove Jasper’s free-form sculptures from peoples grass verges. But there is the issue of disposal. Do I take 1-2 bags full all the way home? Or do I drop them off on the way? Do I use a council rubbish bin, or do I take advantage of the residential wheelie trash bin left out on the footpath?

I do have a set of rules re that latter – if the bin is full and due for pickup next day or so then I don’t feel bad. But if the bin has just been emptied – I haven’t got the heart to leave a bag of fresh Labrador doo-doo in there to greet the owner. Plus it makes a loud ‘donk’ when you drop it in, in case they're watching.  On the other hand, if they too bloody lazy to bring the bin in way after rubbish day then I figure they deserve a deposit.

I recall one occasion when I couldn’t find any bin on the way home, but then spotted a church fair. Always on the lookout for a bargain, I tied the dog up and rolled the full bag in my sweater as I wandered in to investigate. The I noticed that the queues gently parted as I walked in; people moved away from formerly busy trading tables. Nothing like the funky whiff of canine caca to help clear the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment