Powered By Blogger

Site Meter

About Me

My photo
Auckland, North Island, New Zealand
Wine tour operator, wine writer and lapsed physiotherapist. "Nature abhors a vacuum. I personally hate dusting."

Followers

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Jasper ... again



I got Jaz as a genial bruiser of a dog from the Manukau Dog Pound back about ten years ago, when I was doing a
physio locum in Papakura. He was on death row and the Lab Rescue people had alerted me to his status. So, after getting his shots and recovering from kennel cough, I handed over $50 and got a big, goofy, happy, gorgeous one year-old Black Lab. He may have been pedigree or he may have had a bit of Rottweiler – I dunno. He didn’t come with a biography. Or a name. So we called him Jasper and he seemed to like it. Especially when we said, “Come here Jasper. Food!” He is the most food-driven-obsessed dog I have ever known.

He is also the most stubborn, pig-headed, disobedient bastard dog have ever known.

Sure, I took him to obedience classes. He would rocket out of the car, dragging me in his wake as soon as I let the car door open, as 40kg of solid wild-eyed mad Lab hurtled towards the darkened playing field where the FUN was.

All the other dogs sat neatly in line, ears cocked, trembling in coil-sprung readiness for the slightest hint of a verbal cue, with eyes laser-focused on their owner. Meanwhile Jasper was looking over his shoulder with a zero attention span: Hey! There’s a dog barking over there! Hey! Lookit! That dog’s owner has special foodie treats! I can smell FOOD! I’m hungry! Why don’t you bring treats???!!!

We managed some semblance of SIT! And WAIT! – after about 6 weeks. But he did it with a good-humoured yet grudging, ‘yeah – whatever’ attitude. After ten years, I realise that Jasper never got the idea of me being the Alpha Male. To him, I'm basically a talented equal.

Jasper: Yes - Phil has a magical fridge thing that endlessly produces food when you open the door, but He is quite uncooperative when I walk him. Phil insists on going the OTHER WAY on walks. He pulls on the leash and can be very annoying. He insists on removing my poo - even after I've gone to a lot of trouble to find a perfect location. But he does good tickles, back massage and ear rubs.

Phil: We've got used to each other. having a dog is not unlike having a permanent 3-year old child: broken sleep, messes to clean up, regular feeding timetable, and discipline issues.
But at least he won't get anyone pregant or want to borrow the car when he's older.

No comments:

Post a Comment